Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Waste exemptions for hunting, shooting and game breeding

Waste exemptions for hunting, shooting and game breeding

You may need to register an exemption with your environmental regulator from waste management licensing if you carry out an exempt waste management activity.

Some exemptions do not need to be registered although you must comply with the exemption's conditions
Activities exempt from waste management licensing

Exempt waste management activities which may apply to hunting, shooting and game breeding businesses include:

Exempt waste activity or operation Exemption reference
Northern Ireland Scotland
Burning untreated wood and plant matter in the open Paragraph 30 Paragraph 30
Composting biodegradable waste, and storing waste for composting. Paragraph 13 Paragraph 12
Treating waste plant matter or wood by chipping, shredding, cutting or pulverising it. Paragraph 21 Paragraph 21
Treating waste pesticide solution or washings in a lined biobed or filter No exemption Paragraph 42
Storing any waste (non-hazardous or hazardous/special) temporarily on the site where it was products in a secure place for no longer than 12 months. For example, tyres, wood, paints. Paragraph 41
There are quantity limits for storing hazardous waste.
No need to register.
Paragraph 41
There are quantity limits for storing special waste.
No need to register.
Burning waste in an incinerator with a capacity of less than 50kg per hour at the place where it was produced, eg farmed animal carcases, untreated waste wood. Paragraph 29
The incinerator must have a rated thermal input of less than 0.3 megawatts
Paragraph 29


You must check whether your registered exemption needs to be renewed. Some registered exemptions last for as long as the activity is carried out while others may only last for 12 months.

If you are not sure whether you can register an exemption for your waste operation or waste management activity, or how long an exemption will last, contact your environmental regulator for further advice.

Contact your environmental regulator
Storing waste

Further information on waste exemptions

NIEA: Activities exempt from waste management licensing

SEPA: Activities exempt from waste management licensing

Whats new on NetRegs

  • EU Exit

    EU Exit updates: Northern Ireland DAERA Brexit news, Scotland SEPA Supporting Scottish businesses with EU exit

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms